Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 1, 2020


#ClapBecauseWeCare Participants

#ClapBecauseWeCare Participants

#ClapBecauseWeCare Participants

Last evening was the 6th time of the 7PM clapping/cheering session (that has been dubbed #ClapBecauseWeCare) taking place to honor first responders and healthcare workers who are keeping New Yorkers as safe as possible during the coronavirus pandemic. Many people participated but I only took four pictures as it is hard to clap and take photos at the same time. Three out of the four pictures I took are of the same couple and those images are posted atop this entry.

The fourth image of a clapper is directly below.

A #ClapBecauseWeCare Participant

I dedicated this evening's clap/cheer to AD, the woman seen in the next photo.

She lives in the building directly west of me. My rooftop garden overlooks her terrace garden which she shares with her husband. I met them both a few years ago and was the person who welcomed them to our hood by having them over to my garden and telling them about various places in NYC where they could get plants and shrubs to plant in their space.

Since we share the same exposure (northern), I was able to suggest flora that would thrive in their space. AD and her husband like to cook so I gave them some of my herbs that were doing very well. A few years ago when they traveled they asked me to water their garden.

She was most appreciative and last July when I was going through another difficult time she and her husband helped me with something and she made me a lovely card (a photo-stat of it can be seen here).

AD is a medical student in residency at a hospital on the Eastside and is very insistent that I continue to stay at home which our mayor and governor have been pleading for residents to do in order to slow down and stop the quick spreading of the virus.

I told her about not being able to go to the laundromat to pick up my laundry as I'm still not supposed to carry anything heavy due to my breaking my greater tuberosity. As it happens, she passes my laundromat on her way to the hospital and she offered to pick it up. Yesterday morning she brought it to me.

I had had a very bad night and I told her about it. Soon after she left my Eastside friend AB (whom I wrote about in a recent blog entry) phoned to tell me he'd come across a very injured pigeon and I was able to help him know what to do so that he could take him/her to The Wild Bird Fund (WBF) which is thankfully still operating.

As you may recall, dear reader, I've mentioned the WBF in prior posts when discussing the birds I've rescued and I've include a story about them in volume one of my three volume book series, Words In Our Beak.


AB will be heading upstate so he had his brother's car and asked me if he could pick up something for me at Petco where I have a gift certificate. Like yours truly, AB loves birds and earlier this year I introduced him and his wife to points of interest in Central Park that are especially good for birding. AB was able to redeem my certificate for me.

Moreover he was thrilled to know his good deed will make a lot of my visitors very happy. A few hours after AB left, it was time for the 7PM clapping/cheering event and I bundled up in order to do so. I thought during the entire tribute sand even wanted to shout out to anyone listening that AD is a medical student and how helpful she has been to me.

As soon as I came into my apartment, the phone was ringing. AD was on the line saying she had picked up a few things for me at the store.

Moreover, she loved hearing that I'd been able to help someone rescue a pigeon. I'm very grateful to have had the chance to do that and for the help I have received from her as well as from my out of state sibling whom I loved since day one of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.