Saturday, September 24, 2016

an ADDENDUM to my 9-23-16 Blogger post: Autumn Clematis's Survival Challenged Twice!


If the photo atop this blog entry looks familiar to you, dear reader, your powers of observation are serving you well, for the image is very similar to the one I featured in yesterday's post here on Blogger. Like the aforementioned picture, it was taken by Juan V when he came to my rooftop garden to do some gardening on the first day of autumn (which was this past Thursday). The little white flowers seen in the lower righthand corner belong to my Autumn Clematis, a vine that I discussed in that entry. The gist of that post was to pay homage to Donna, the grower who sold me my clematis plants (a number of years ago); plants that I have always named Donna's Legacy, in her honor.

And perhaps it is because I named my clematis vines for their "diamond in the rough grower," they have accepted and faced the challenges of life. Weather conditions in NYC, where I live, and where I maintain my urban garden can be extreme, and these vines have proved to be tenacious in living with whatever Mother Nature brings their way. Also for many types of flora, living in a container is not easy, they really belong directly in the ground's soil, not a container filled with it!

But my Autumn Clematis faced that challange from the moment she was placed in a rectangular container, a container that she out grew quickly, which I replaced with a larger rectangular container, and the vines adapted to larger living quarters very nicely!

However, these were not the only obstacles my clematis plants have endured. Some of you might recall that on September 22nd in 2012 (which was the first day fall that year), my landlord had workers do a repair to my garden's floor. My prepping the area for his workers to accomplish this task warranted that I remove everything from the garden's surface, which I did, and the results can be seen in the photo below.


A few small containers were able to be placed on the inner portion of the ledge, but most of my containers of flowers, herbs, ornamental grasses, plants, succulents, shrubs and trees had to brought inside my small apartment, causing a great disruption to their growing conditions. My three main vines (which include an H.F. Young Clematis that trails up a pipe in the northwest corner of my garden; a pair of male and female kiwi vines that are in a container on the northeast side of my garden; and the Autumn Clematis which I've been referring to and is off camera in the image posted above) all had to be forced out of the containers that they call home and put into "body bags."


The bag for the Autumn Clematis had to be tied to a trellis that it likes to crawl up and some views of this can be seen below:





The H.F. Clematis and the bag for the kiwi vines can be seen towards the top of the aerial garden image respectively. A lone mourning dove is also in that picture as he/she visited my garden soon after everything was removed and may have been thinking, "What the F....?"

The mourning dove was not the only bird surprised to find my garden in such a state, for as you can see from the photo below, Cam, my visiting cardinal (who later would become my mentor and collaborator in a book project) had her own "What the F....?"-moment upon seeing "her" flora had disappeared.


Cam, the mourning doves and house finches were relieved that even though all my flora was gone and my garden's surface was stripped, I still provided for them, as evidenced below.



I wrote about this disruptive incident on Blogger at the time, and if you'd like to refer to my entry, please click here.

Three years later, in September of 2015 — because my landlord did not have the repair work done properly — the same repair was warranted, and once again, I had to remove everything from my garden.



Once again I had to move all my containers of flowers, herbs, ornamental grasses, plants, shrubs, succulents and trees into my small apartment.







My flora had grown tremendously since the upheaval  in 2012, but, once again,  I managed with the of friends to get my flora inside my apartment. As for the "body bag" which had been my solution for my H.F. Young, Kiwi, and Autumn Clematis vines, we only used them for two of these vines; the H.F. and the Kiwis. In terms of the Autumn Clematis plants, we did not dig them out of their home and put them in a bag as we had done in 2012; rather,  we tied the entire home of the Autumn Clematis to the trellis above it.

   

I'm bringing the issue of my 2012 and 2015 garden disruption up today, because I'm so impressed that my flora, including my Autumn Clematis has been able to withstand circumstances, something I also trying to do. After all my flora and I do live in New York and know that "IF (WE) CAN MAKE IT HERE,  (WE) CAN MAKE IT ANYWHERE...  After all, we want to live up to Donna's legacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.